What is your favourite Alien film?

Wednesday 6 April 2011

Scream for me

With the and coming Scream 4 rearing its head, I beleive its a pretty amazing feat to have a horror film become such an iconic piece of cinema. Obviously many others are iconic as well, the shining is one that springs to mind. But that opening sequence in the first film is probably the only truly iconic scene from a horror film in the last decade.
You know how it begins a stray phone call to Drew Barrymore from an unknown caller asking the youthful "teen" what her favourite scary movie is, which then twists to her being a victim in her house and being told she'll be gutted like a fish if she hangs up the phone. And soon enough Drew Barrymore is no more and her parents arrive home to see there child hanging from a tree dead and stabbed.
One of my all time favourite scenes. But my problem is, ok there have been some great horrors released since Scream some are probably even better than scream, but none are as memorable as the above scene. Why is this?
I have to give Saw some kudos for the traps in the first one, but u don't remember the dialogue, or really exactly what happens. All u know is two men are trapped in a bathroom and they have to saw there legs off to get free. But Saw is so torturous and gory it makes it difficult to watch, I personally love the franchise but I'm a horror fanatic, I know many people will not watch Saw whereas they will watch scream. Therefore in being less gory and "horrific" it works. Saw has little feeling of dread unlike that of the Scream film and I think thats what makes it iconic. U don't need to see someone carve there leg off to get scared, because thats just gross. But Drew Barrymore being tortured over the phone is far more frightening, because you know she is going to come off this worse than the guy on the phone as well as Drew Barrymore being a pretty solid actress shame they killed her so soon.
Well my rant is over. The original Scream is fantastic and still gets the adrenaline pumping even now, horror is great genre and I hope Scream 4 will be as good as the first two and I also hope another horror film will take up Screams mantle for most iconic horror movie scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment