What is your favourite Alien film?

Wednesday 20 July 2011

Eclipse **

An overly serious and underwhelming installment

"Bella must be saved for reasons unbeknown to me"

I have to admit that I really did not enjoy the simplistic and shallow narrative of the first twilight book, however I quite enjoyed the first film, I was impressed with direction of the original director. Though I still find the story fairly childish and naive as a form of light entertainment I would 100% recommend the first film.

Moving on to New Moon, which I must admit I have not read, but I watched the film as I wished to see where the film would go after being impressed with the first film. I was unfortunately very disappointed. The direction was uninspired, safe and ugly compared to the original. The special effects were also fairly substandard for such a money making franchise such as this. The story was over dramatic and humourless, and the character of Bella is unrelatable and pathetic.

When Eclipse reared it's ugly head I was excited by the director and the prospect of a far more action orientated installment. But I was once again let down by a film that is much the same as New Moon, stilted and lacklustre action sequences, poor computer generated imagary and Bella once again unrelatable and humourless. The two leading gentleman look good but give stiff performances. One thing in Eclipse's favour is the way it's shot. The scenery is stunning and is shown off in subtle and yet grandeur way, so kudos to the director for this but it really is not enough to lift this film from the badly melodramatic and pretty anti-feminist story.

I will complete the series too see how it all pans out, but I'm praying that things improve. The producers should get Joss Whedon to come and help them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment